After a slight deviation yesterday, we are back to our regularly scheduled cookie week. Today I have Caramel Oatmeal Cookies for you! I whipped these up on Wednesday as part of the Elf for Health Challenge. The challenge of the day was to bake cookies! How fitting that it was during cookie week! When I started cookie week with White Chocolate Peppermint M&M Cookie Bars I knew I wanted to share 3 cookies with you (since I usually post on Monday, Wednesday and Friday), but I only knew what two of those cookies were going to be. I had no idea what my third cookie was going to be. Then I picked up a bag of these….
Yeah, I still didn’t know what the third cookie was going to be!
I thought about shortbread cookies, maybe something with cinnamon or a cake like cookie. I thought cinnamon sounded like a good idea and since it was an Elf for Health challenge I figured I should throw something healthy in there, so I opted for an oatmeal cookie!
They turned out great! There’s a subtle hint of cinnamon. You get that taste and texture of oatmeal. And then there’s the chewy goodness of caramel to top it off. They are a soft cookie, too (my favorite)!!!
Ready to make a batch for yourself?
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup caramel bits
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream the vegetable shortening and sugar. Beat in the eggs. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients. Fold in the oats and caramel bits.
- Drop the dough by spoonfuls 1 1/2 inches apart onto an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until lightly colored. Transfer to wire racks to cool.
You don’t need the whole bag of caramel bits, so feel free to do something fun with the leftovers. Melt them and drizzle over your cookies, dip marshmallows in them, or just eat them straight out of the bag.
I will definitely buy caramel bits to make these again!!!
Linking up: The Frugal Girls