Happy New Year! Here are my resolutions……just kidding. I don’t do resolutions. Although I told my hubby my resolution was to stay out of Target for the entire month of January. Wish me luck! We had a wild and crazy night on New Year’s Eve. We put the kids to bed, played some board games, had chips and dip and were asleep by 10:30. I was up at 4:00 because around 3:45 the big kid fell out of her bed. And that is why I don’t stay up until midnight.
So, maybe you do make resolutions and one of them is to pack a few more veggies into your day? Chicken Pot Pie is a delicious way to load up on the veggies.
This is one of my favorite comfort food dinners! And it makes a great lunch the next day. 😉 There’s a lot of assembly required, but make two at a time and pop one in the freezer for a later date!
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 (9 inch) unbaked pie crusts
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C.)
- In a saucepan, combine carrots, peas, and celery. Add water to cover and boil for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, drain and set aside.
- In the saucepan over medium heat, cook onions in butter until soft and translucent. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and celery seed. Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk. Simmer over medium-low heat until thick. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place the chicken and vegetables in bottom pie crust. Pour hot liquid mixture over. Cover with top crust, seal edges, and cut away excess dough. Make several small slits in the top to allow steam to escape.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Confession: The picture is actually a turkey pot pie. I also use this recipe for leftover turkey after Thanksgiving. 🙂
Have a great weekend everyone! And if you need a little help with your meal plan this week, don’t forget about chicken pot pie!