Cupcake loves to get involved in the kitchen. Most of the time while I’m making dinner she can be found on the counter stirring beans in her play kitchen pot. So I’m always looking for ways to let her help. Cookie decorating proved to be a fun activity for us to do while little sister was snoozing.
I dug through my baking tote to see what we had to work with. I found a bag of Christmas colored M&Ms that didn’t get used when red and green were in season. So I separated.
I suppose I can use the green ones for a St. Patrick’s Day baking extravaganza. You know because St. Patty’s Day is a big baking holiday…..
The good news is I didn’t need all of the red M&Ms so I didn’t have to sort the whole bag.
I did this during Cupcake’s nap. I wanted to limit the amount of time she had to handle the candy. I also made up some sugar cookie dough and baked the cookies so they’d be cooled and ready to frost when she woke up.
Fresh faced (and still in pajamas) from her nap we set to work. Momma frosted. Cupcake decorated. After a bit she got a system down. One for the cookie……
One for her…….
The distribution of M&Ms was a bit uneven and their placement was far from symmetrical, but the cookies were adorable nonetheless. And most importantly they were edible. Actually they were quite good!
The cookie is soft and flaky and the frosting, while super sugary when eaten straight off a spoon, was a good compliment to the cookie.
This is definitely a project she and I can do for every cookie required occasion. We have a playdate later this week………….
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl cream butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Blend into creamed mixture.
- Wrap and refrigerated for 2-3 hours
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Working with half the dough on a lightly floured surface, roll to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut with cookie cutters. Transfer to a Silpat lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Transfer to wire racks to cool.
- For the icing: Beat 1/2 cup softened butter with 4 cups powdered sugar until smooth. Stir in 2 teaspoons vanilla and 4-6 teaspoons of milk until desired spreading consistency is reached.
- Frost the cookies and decorate with M&Ms.
- Store in an airtight container, using parchment or wax paper between layers.
Linking up with: