Happy National Donut Day! I love donuts! So of course I have to share a donut recipe today. Cherries are in season (yay!!!) and I thought they’d make a great donut! So Cupcake and I whipped up a batch of Cherry Chocolate Chip Donuts!!!
Yum! I took one of my favorite donut recipes and put a little spin on it to come up with these. Luckily I had some very ripe bananas on hand. And a big bag of cherries. But that’s no surprise. I will have a big bag of cherries in my fridge every week during cherry season! So I may have to make these again! And they’re baked so they’re not as bad for you as most donuts! So you don’t have to run quite so many miles to work them off. Speaking of working them off here’s the Friday Fitness recap.
Saturday – 8 miles (10:47 min/mile) – our last group run with my girl Katie before she moved. I sure am going to miss her!
Sunday – 3 miles (11:26 min/mile) with Cupcake on her bike for Stroller Run 2015. We had a great turnout of 6 moms and 4 dads hitting the trail!
Monday – stroller strength was canceled due to rain (that never actually came) so I let Jillian Michaels kick my butt with “No More Trouble Zones” and got some cardio in on the step machine.
Tuesday – 3.1 stroller miles (9:55 min/mile)
Wednesday – trail run! I joined a summer trail running group and Wednesday was the first day. I’m excited to get more use out of my trail shoes! We ran 2.6 miles (12:27 min/mile) on the first go round. But one of my MRTT gals was late and missed the start, so I went back out with her for another 2.5 miles (12:14 min.mile).
Thursday – Stroller Strength. I got in about 1.6 miles and we worked upper body. It was the first SS since Cupcake got out of school and I had to push the Sit’n’stand stroller with both girls in it which is quite a workout!
Friday – fill my face with cherry chocolate chip donuts!!!!
I’m sure you want to make some, too, so here’s the recipe!!
- 1 cup Mashed Ripe Banana (2 bananas)
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Fat Free Greek Yogurt
- 1/4 cup Unsalted Butter (Melted)
- 2 Eggs (Room Temperature)
- 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups AP or white wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 cup Chocolate Chips
- 3/4 cup cherries (roughly chopped)
- Preheat the oven to 325F
- Using your electric mixer with the whisk attachment, add the mashed banana, sugar and Greek yogurt. Mix just until incorporated.
- Add melted butter, eggs and vanilla extra and mix.
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt to the batter and mix until just incorporated. Do not over mix!
- Fold in the chocolate chips and cherries.
- Grease your donut baking pan and fill each mold 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Allow the donuts to cool in the pan for 5 minutes before gently removing to a wire rack to cool. Or serve warm.