The local bike path opened up a new section close to our house, so yesterday morning I decided to run the new path and check it out. It’s 2.25 miles long before it meets up with the older section of the bike path. I ran 2 miles of it and turned around and ran back. I think it will be a nice place to run in the spring when the fields are in bloom. After my run I made another run to the grocery store to pick up some shortening. Because nothing says “I just ran 4 miles.” quite like buying a tub of shortening.
I needed some shortening, though, to make these delicious cookies! We had been invited over to dinner with friends and I said I would bring dessert. I had been looking for a reason to make my favorite glazed pumpkin cookies and this was the perfect opportunity!
I love, love, love these cookies and I can’t believe I am just making them for the first time this fall. Or maybe not because I know that I can’t stop eating them. And this recipe makes a bunch! The last thing I need is a bunch of deliciously glazed pumpkin cookies!
I’m thisclose to reclaiming my prepregnancy jeans. I don’t need cookies getting in my way. Which is why I loaded a bunch up on a paper plate and left them after dinner! And I’m sending hubby off with the rest today!
They are cake-like and moist and covered in glaze! You want some now, don’t you? Well, go ahead and make yourself some! Here’s how:
- 2 C shortening
- 2 C white sugar
- 15 oz pumpkin puree
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 C all purpose flour
- 6 tbsp butter
- 8 tbsp milk
- 1 C packed brown sugar
- 2 C confectioner's sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a large bowl cream together shortening, white sugar and pumpkin. Add eggs and mix well.
- In a small bowl combine baking soda, ground cinnamon, salt and flour. Add to the pumpkin mixture and mix well.
- Spoon onto a parchment or Silpat lined cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool on cookie sheet for 2 minutes, transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- Glaze: In a small saucepan combine butter, milk, and brown sugar and cook over medium-low heat until the sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Add confectioner's sugar and vanilla and whisk until combined. Spoon over cooled cookies.
How was your weekend? Do anything fun? Bake anything?