Every week I make a menu and a grocery list. I like to be prepared. I write the menu on the chalkboard wall so I can remember what I’m making. But sometimes you go to the grocery store and before you can even write the menu on the board you drop a carton of eggs and some of the eggs crack. Then you decide you aren’t going to waste those eggs, which were supposed to be your breakfast for the week, so you have to veer from the path and make something else, like a ham and cheese quiche. Luckily I had some leftover ham and cheese in the fridge!
Luckily I had everything else I needed and just enough time to get it done. And it turned out really good! I changed things up a bit and tried Havarti cheese in the quiche instead of your standard Swiss and it was so good!
I’m not a pro at making pretty pie crust, but I think this one turned out pretty good! At least it’s my best to date. Not that I’m making pie crusts on the regular or anything……
Do you want to know the best thing about making a quiche for dinner? Having leftover quiche for breakfast the next morning! I used those cracked eggs for breakfast after all!
So when you go to make this quiche let me give you a little tip. Put the pie dish on a baking sheet. That way if some of the egg spills over you don’t have a big mess to clean in your oven.
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon shortening
- 2 to 3 teaspoons cold water
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup diced ham
- 4 oz Havarti cheese
- 1/3 cup diced onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Mix flour and salt in a medium bowl. Cut in the shortening until the crumbles are about the size of peas. Add water 1 tablespoon at a time mixing until all flour is moistened.
- Gather pastry into a ball and shape into a flattened round. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Roll onto a lightly floured surface into a circle 2 inches larger than the pie plate. Transfer to the pie plate and and press against the bottom and side of the pie plate being careful not to stretch the pastry.
- Heat oven to 425.
- Beat eggs slightly in a large bowl. Whisk in milk, salt and pepper. Fold in ham, cheese and onion. Pour into pastry lined pie pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300. Bake 30 minutes longer or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting and serving.