This is the Ho Ho Cake recipe my mom used to make when I was younger. It was always such a huge treat for us. Of course when I grew up and moved out I needed the recipe, too! Thankfully momma shared it. It’s so super easy and you can cheat for most of it, but the cream filling, you know the part a Ho Ho is known for is the special part and that’s the main part of the recipe.
Start with a box of Devil’s Food Cake and bake it according to the directions on the box in a 9×13 pan. Allow to cool.
Gather your cream filling ingredients.
Fat, sugar, butter, sugary milk………you know this is going to be good!
It doesn’t look like much to start, but 15 minutes later……..
Yeah, 15 minutes, so you better have a stand mixer for this job! mmm…..creamy
Cake + cream……..spread it around
Cheater’s frosting………..throw it in the microwave for 30 or so seconds.
Drizzle and spread.
Have two pieces. I won’t tell!
- Box Devil's Food Cake Mix (and ingredients to prepare as directed on box)
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 2/3 cup condensed milk
- 1 stick of butter (room temperature)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 can fudge frosting
- 1. Prepare and bake cake according to package directions in a 9x13 pan. Allow to cool.
- 2. Combine shortening, condensed milk, butter, sugar and vanilla in a large bowl and beat for 15 minutes.
- 3. Spread cream filling on cooled cake.
- 4. Microwave can of fudge frosting for 30 seconds. Spread over cream filling.
- 5. Refrigerate.