When it starts feel like spring I start to get excited about fresh flavors, like lemon. Lemon just screams spring to me, so when Pumpkin asked if we could make muffins I knew exactly what kind of muffins I wanted to make. Together she and I made a delicious batch of Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins. Or as she kept calling them, lemon poppy bean muffins.
I haven’t spent much time baking with Pumpkin, just the two of us. Typically we bake in the afternoon after Cupcake is home from school. So I have two helpers taking turns pouring in the ingredients. But this time Pumpkin got to do it all herself. And she loved it!
The muffins were her idea after all. She’s on quite the muffin kick lately! She did a great job mixing the ingredients, but she didn’t think we added enough poppy seeds. She was happy with sprinkling a few extra on top.
Lemon poppy seed muffins might be my favorite muffins ever and these are delicious! The lemon syrup adds and extra punch of lemon, which is so good, but they’re great without it, too (if you don’t want the extra sugar). Whip up a batch of these. I promise you won’t be disappointed!
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 salt
- 1 cup plain or vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- zest of one lemon
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a small bowl combine the yogurt, egg, butter, lemon zest and lemon juice. Add the wet ingredient to the dry ingredients. Stir just until moistened. Fold in the poppy seeds.
- Fill 12 paper lined muffin cups two thirds full. Bake for 16-18 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes in the pan, then remove to a wire cooling rack.
- (Optional) In a saucepan combine 1/3 cup lemon juice and 1/4 cup sugar. Cook, while stirring over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Using a toothpick poke 6-8 holes in each muffin. Spoon the syrup over the muffins and sprinkle with poppy seeds.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.