This Meaty Macaroni Bake recipe is a family favorite. It was the first thing I ever cooked for my hubby and years later we are still enjoying it. When I made it for dinner last night hubby was SO excited!
This is also a great make ahead meal. I prepped it all while the girls were napping so I could get it in the oven on time! It’s my go to whenever I want to take a meal to a new momma or a family in need. It’s so simple and delicious! And the leftovers are even fantastic!
I’ve healthified the original recipe by swapping out ground turkey for ground beef.
A kitchen scale comes in handy for measuring out your macaroni. Thankfully I had just bought new batteries for ours!
The recipe also calls for mushrooms, but I’m super grossed out by mushrooms so much to the hubby’s dismay I omit them.
A bunch of deliciousness gets layered on like a lasagna. Don’t worry about a little pasta sauce/sour cream mingling. It’ll turn out fantastic (and no one will see that your layers aren’t perfect.
All layered up and ready to bake or freeze. The saucy and cheesy goodness awaits…..
Serve it up with a big, green salad, maybe some crunchy bread on the side to soak up that extra sauce. Yum!
Make this for your family and they will lick their plates clean! I guarantee it!
- 1 pound ground beef (or ground turkey)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 (24 oz) jar pasta sauce
- 1 (4 oz) can mushroom pieces, drained
- 6 ounces elbow macaroni
- 1 cup sour cream, divided
- 4 ounces provolone cheese, sliced
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Brown beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Drain fat.
- Add onion to skillet; cook for 2 minutes. Stir pasta sauce and mushrooms into skillet. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray a 2 quart casserole dish with cooking spray. Later half the pasta, half the sauce and half the sour cream. Top with provolone.
- Continue layering remaining pasta, sauce and sour cream. Top with mozzarella. Cover loosely with foil sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake for 25 minutes; uncover. Bake for 5 minutes longer.
- *To make ahead and freeze do not bake. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for up to 1 month. Thaw and bake for 35 minutes.
Don’t forget to link up tomorrow for Kids’ Reads!!!
This recipe may be linked up to these Link Parties.