Top o’ the morning to ya!!! Happy St. Patrick’s Day! I don’t have any classic Irish recipes to share with you today, but I do have a fun green one for you! Mint Chocolate Chip Meringue Cookies!
Cupcake and Pumpkin had fun helping me whip up a batch of these yesterday. They took turns adding in the ingredients. The kitchen is getting crowded these days since both girls want to help!
These are super simple to make and don’t require a lot of ingredients. I would recommend using a gel food coloring as opposed to a liquid one and add a good bit of it if you want brighter colors as the meringues will brown a bit when they’re baked.
- 2 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/8-1/4 tsp peppermint extract
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- green food coloring gel
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, beat the egg whites for 30 seconds until foamy.
- Add cream of tartar and continue to beat for 2 minutes until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add sugar while continuing to beat on high speed. Continue beating for 3-4 minutes until sugar is dissolved and stiff peaks form.
- Add peppermint extract, chocolate chips and food coloring and gently fold into the egg whites.
- Line a baking sheet with a Silpat or parchment.
- Add egg whites to a icing bag and cut the corner large enough for the egg whites and chocolate chips to flow out.
- Pipe into mounds about 1 1/2 in diameter.
- Bake for 1 hour, until meringues are dry. Turn oven off and prop open the oven door and allow meringues to rest in the oven for 30-60 minutes.
Have any green fun planned for today?