So I’ve got one more sweet recipe for you guys and this one I’m super excited about! Mint Meltaways!! This is a recreation of one of my favorite candies, Fannie May Mint Meltaways, which are hard to come by here since it’s a Chicago based company (although they are now made here in Ohio). But I think I’ve found an acceptable substitute.
Soft and creamy on the inside with a delicious mint chocolate coating. They may not be as pretty as the inspiration meltaways, but they are as yummy!
I dug into my collection of dark chocolate & mint morsels. Yes, I have a collection. I have a impulse purchase problem when it comes to these morsels. AKA – I buy a bag every time I go to the grocery store (even if I haven’t used the previously purchased bag). That’s how I ended up with 5 bags at once!
Normally I just make Aly’s fudge with these and then devour it because my hubby doesn’t like mint. I decided to expand on that.
I melted together one can of condensed milk and one bag of dark chocolate & mint morsels. I left out the ounce of unsweetened chocolate because I didn’t have any on hand. Once it was all melted and combined I spread it in a parchment lined 8×8 pan and put it in the fridge.
And then my kitchen helper finished her lunch and decided she wanted to help, so I put her to work.
I decided to put my fudge in the freezer after a while to quicken the cooling and because it would cut cleaner if it was firm. Once out of the freezer I pulled the parchment out of the pan and pulled the entire block of fudge from the parchment, then because to cut into little squares.
I melted my morsels and began dipping.
And dipped some more until they were all coated.
And then I took them to my Stay at Home Mom’s Christmas party last night. And they were a hit. Now it’s turn to make some and share. Or don’t share. I don’t judge.
- 2 bags Dark Chocolate & Mint Morsels
- 1 can condensed milk
- Combine one bag of dark chocolate & mint morsels with condensed milk in small saucepan. Heat on low, stirring constantly until completely melted and smooth.
- Pour into a parchment lined 8x8 pan and spread evenly. Allow to cool.
- Separate the morsels from the second bag into two microwave safe bowls and melt.
- Slice the cooled and firm chocolate into bite sized pieces. (for best results freeze chocolate for 30-60 minutes before cutting)
- Dip each piece in one of the two melted chocolates, shaking off excess chocolate and place them on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Allow to cool.
- Store in an airtight container.
Have you ever had Fannie May Mint Meltaways before?