Nothing warms up a cold winter’s day like comfort food, but who says you can’t have comfort food in the summer too? And when you hear the phrase comfort food what comes to mind? For me it’s mac and cheese! And this is one of our favorites, Pepperjack Cheesy Mac!
Don’t be fooled by the title. The pepperjack just gives it a little kick, but it’s not spicy. Unless you want it to be! And this stuff is cheesy! And creamy! With a bit of crunch?
Yep, crunch. Right on top. And not in a dry pasta kind of way. In a tortilla chip kind of way!
Go ahead an make yourself some. You won’t regret it.
- 2 cups dry elbow macaroni (or your favorite shape of pasta!)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded pepperjack cheese, divided
- 1 can (12 oz.) Evaporated Milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 to 1 cup broken tortilla chips
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Lightly grease 2 1/2-quart casserole dish.
- Cook macaroni in large saucepan according to package directions; drain. Return to saucepan.
- Add cheddar cheese, 1 1/2 cups pepperjack cheese, evaporated milk and black pepper to macaroni; stir until combined. Pour into prepared casserole dish. Combine remaining 1/2 cup pepperjack cheese, tortilla chips and red pepper flakes in small bowl. Sprinkle over top. Cover tightly with foil.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake for an additional 10 minutes or until lightly browned.