Fall rolls around and people get all pumpkin crazy. Now, I love the pumpkin things, too, but it’s when the pumpkin goes away the peppermint appears and that’s when I get crazy. I’m peppermint crazy! That’s why on a Sunday afternoon, despite having done a lot of prep work in the kitchen all day I decided to whip up a batch of Peppermint Melt Cookies. Even if it required a second grocery store trip to pick up some candy canes and powdered sugar.
These little Peppermint Melt Cookies are a sweet little treat. They melt in your mouth, hence the name. They are crumbly little bits of peppermint deliciousness. These are the kind of cookies Santa would love to have!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1/4 tsp peppermint extract
- 2-3 drops red food coloring
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- crushed candy canes
- Preheat oven to 350. In a mixing bowl cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add in the extract. In a separate bowl combine the flour and cornstarch. Add the flour and cornstarch mixture to the creamed mixture while beating a little at a time. Once combined cover the dough and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Roll dough into 1 inch balls. Place them on a lined cookie sheet 2 inches apart. Bake for 10 minutes, until the bottoms are lightly browned. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- In a mixing bowl cream the butter. Add the milk, peppermint extract and food coloring and mix until combined. Gradually add the powdered sugar until combined, scraping the sides of the bowl if necessary. Spoon the icing on the cooled cookies and sprinkle the crushed candy canes on top.
- Store in an airtight container.