It’s hard to believe it’s already December! Are you in the holiday spirit, yet? We have our indoor decorations up, but we had a wet weekend, so the outside decorations haven’t been put up, yet. The weather should cooperate this weekend, though!
The chillier weather makes me want comfort food. Like casseroles. This Scalloped Potatoes with Peas and Ham casserole is a delicious casserole, full of comfort and cheese! I stumbled across this recipe when looking for a way to use up some leftover Havarti cheese. And I was very happy I did!
I am not, however, happy with the lack of lighting in the evening, so sorry for the photo. It tastes better than it looks!! I promise! Hubby and the girls agree! The Havarti cheese really helps give it a creamy texture. And ham and peas is a good combo. And the Panko gives it a nice crunchy texture. And using canned veggies and cubed ham helps it come together quickly.
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1 (15 oz.) can sweet peas, drained
- 1 cup chopped ham
- 3/4 cup Havarti cheese
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans sliced potatoes
- 1/3 cup Panko
- 1 tbsp butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- For sauce, melt the 3 tablespoons butter over medium heat in a medium saucepan. Cook onion and garlic in hot butter for 4 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Stir in milk. Cook and stir for 7 minutes or until thick and bubbly. Remove pan from the heat. Stir in cheese until melted. Stir in canned peas and ham.
- Arrange half of the canned potato slices in a greased 2-quart baking dish. Pour half the sauce over the potatoes. Repeat layers. Combine panko and the 1 tablespoon melted butter in a small bowl. Sprinkle over mixture in dish.
- Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until bubbly and topping is golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
You should definitely give this a try on a chilly night!