I’m at it again! Trying to force my family to enjoy my favorite squash. I love butternut squash. Cupcake liked it when she was younger, but it’s hard to get her to eat anything these days. Hubby, also not a fan. So, I thought maybe if I made it in fry form and pretended like it was sweet potatoes they would eat it.
Hubby questioned my motives when I was taking pictures.
I thought I would appeal to hubby by tossing the fries with some chili powder.
And just like sweet potato fries the key is to bake them on a wire rack on the baking sheet, instead of on the baking sheet directly.
The spice adds some interest. The hubby approved. And even my pickiest eater gobbled them up! She was so happy to have fries. I wonder what else I can make into fries……..
They were the perfect healthy side next to my greasy burger! Soft on the inside, a slight crisp on the outside, with just a bit of spice.
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tsp chili powder
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Peel and cut butternut squash into fries.
- In a large bowl toss the fries with the canola oil and use your hands to mix and coat the fries. Add chili powder and mix again.
- Place fries on a wire rack on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 40 minutes, flipping the fries halfway through.
Other than potatoes, sweet potatoes and butternut squash what else can I make in fry form to feed my toddler?
Linking up with: