I have a lot of unfinished projects going on around here. I’ve got less than two weeks to plan Pumpkin’s first birthday party, we’re taking a mini vacation, going to a wedding, and I’m a mom of two young kids who keep me busy! The only constant around here is that we eat dinner! So, today I’ve got a delicious dinner recipe for you! Spicy chicken sandwiches with cilantro lime mayo. These sandwiches are so good and not too spicy (cause I don’t do spicy!). And the cilantro lime mayo is the perfect condiment!
Start by whipping up some marinade.
You want to let your chicken swim in this goodness (OK, maybe goodness isn’t appropriate term, but whatevs) for the day.
I have this awesome container for marinating chicken from Tupperware. *No affiliation
When you’re ready to cook coat your chicken in chip crumbs.
And then you’re going to cook it up in a little bit of oil.
And enjoy it on a bun with some lettuce, red onion and that delicious cilantro lime mayo!
These make a quick dinner on a weeknight since you can marinate them during the day, have your chip crumbs and mayo ready and serve it up with a few sides (corn on the cob and buffalo chips for us!). Yum!
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons hot sauce (such as Tabasco)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 chicken breast portions
- 4 1/2 ounces tortilla chips (about 6 cups)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 Hamburger buns
- red onion slices
- lettuce leaves
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1. Prepare the mayo by combining the mayo, cilantro, lime juice and garlic.
- 2. To prepare chicken, combine egg, hot sauce, oregano, and salt in a small bowl. Pour marinade over the chicken portions in a lidded container. Marinate in refrigerator 2 hours or up to 8 hours, turning container occasionally.
- 3. Place tortilla chips in a food processor; process 1 minute or until ground. Place ground chips in a shallow dish.
- 4. Working with one portion at a time, remove chicken from marinade, allowing excess to drip off. Coat chicken completely in chips. Set aside. Repeat procedure with remaining chicken and chips.
- 5. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil to pan, swirling to coat. Add chicken to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until browned and done. Spread mayo evenly over cut sides of rolls. Layer each roll with 3 onion slices, 1 lettuce leaf, and 1 chicken cutlet; top with top halves of rolls.
- *adapted from Cooking Light