Cupcake loves to read and she loves to bake. She gets super excited when her books come with recipes. And her new book, Little Red Riding Hood, had a recipe in it so of course we had to give it a try! But first we had to pick up some blueberries!
So on a lazy Sunday morning, after a trip to the grocery store we whipped up a batch of these wheat berry muffins.
I have two helpers in the kitchen these days. I guess I need to make Pumpkin an apron and chef’s hat, too.
Pumpkin mixed the dry ingredients.
Cupcake was in charge of the wet ingredients and the muffin liners. We went with blue for blueberries.
I took care of folding in the blueberries as the batter is very thick! I scooped the batter into the liners and popped them in the oven. And then Cupcake asked every 2 minutes if it was time for a “test taste.”
They were worth the wait because these muffins are so good! They’re very dense, a little sweet and a lot of blueberry deliciousness. The girls have already asked when we can make them again.
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 cup wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a large bowl mix together the eggs, butter, sugar and almond extract.
- In a medium bowl mix together the flours, baking powder and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir just until combined.
- Fold in the blueberries and sunflower seeds (batter will be thick).
- Evenly divide the batter between the 12 muffin tin liners and bake for 20-25 minutes.
I suspect we’ll make another batch of these really soon! They’re great to have on hand for a quick weekday breakfast!